Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Moment to Cherish

SURPRISE!! Bet you didn't think you'd be hearing from me again so soon, huh?! Well, I had such an amazing experience with the kids this afternoon that I want to share while it is still fresh in my mind - though I'm sure I'll never forget it...

I first heard Alexa waking up from nap (around 4:35 pm), and within seconds I heard Jack too. Funny how they almost always wake up at the exact same time! Since Alexa was crying and Jack sounded happy, I went to her room first. When I got there she was extremely emotional. I have no idea why, I guess she just "woke up on the wrong side of the bed." So carrying a crying Alexa, I went to Jack's room to get him up. As I changed his diaper, she clung to my leg whimpering. So instead of rushing back downstairs to go back to my To Do List and putting off Alexa's unexplained cries, I decided to sit down in the rocking chair in Jack's room and cuddle my two babies. I am SOOO GLAD that I did!!!!

The moments spent in that chair this afternoon are ones to cherish forever ♥ ♥ ♥

I watched as Jack intently put his hand to Alexa's face and [not so gently] started wiping away her tears - after I said "nice" and "gentle" a few times he did it so sweetly. Then he leaned across me to rest his head on her chest. The both sighed deeply in the sweet snuggle. Finally, he sat upright, opened his mouth, and planted a big kiss on her. To see the compassion that Jack had for his big sister just astounded me. To see the cheerfulness that lit Alexa from her little brother had me in awe. With big smiles, much laughter, and lots of love the kids continued to cuddle, hug, and kiss right on my lap for several minutes; barely noticing I was there.

It sounds cliche to say, but I cannot even find the proper words to describe these moments with Alexa and Jack... There are no words to illustrate the looks and touches of compassionate love these two shared. I felt so blessed to witness such an innocent, unconditional exchange of love between my two remarkable babies!


This really makes me stop to think about my priorities. Does it really matter if dinner is later than usual? Does every speck of dust needed to be removed from the house? Do the dishes need to be done right now? Can't that load (or loads) of laundry wait until later?... Anyone close to me will tell you that the fact that I actually set aside heading back downstairs to continue making dinner (the item on my To Do List I had been 'interrupted' on when the kids woke up) to cuddle Alexa & Jack, especially considering how Alexa's unexplained whining often unnerves me, is a big deal. And I think in making that decision, in experiencing such a special time with my kids, I have realized my priorities, my focus, needs to completely return to them. It's not that I ignore Alexa & Jack by any means, but sometimes I do put other (non-important, in the grand scheme of things) things in front of spending quality, undivided attention with my children. That stops today. Making memories like the one I shared with Alexa & Jack today are going to be my #1 priority. All the other 'stuff' can wait.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I had a few moments with the children today that I will never forget. I'll hold them forever in my heart. I am going to be a better Mommy because of them ♥ Ciao.

1 comment:

janine said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. You should print it out and have it handy so when you feel like scolding or getting upset with your children you can re-read this and remember what is truly important in your world. The dust, dinner, "to do" list and everything else will wait. But children grow up so fast. I love you and am proud of your mothering skills. Love, Aunt Janine