Wednesday, April 22, 2009

6-Month Check-up

We went for Alexa's 6-month check-up today (a week early because Dr. Jacob is going to be out of town next week). Dr. Jacob is so happy with Alexa's muscle strength, her reaching for and grasping objects, her awareness of her surroundings, her babbling in different pitches, her sitting, her reflexes. She kept saying, "She's so pretty" and "What a beautiful baby." Dr. Jacob really did praise how great Alexa is doing. The bad news is Alexa only gained 1 lb 3 oz since her 4-month check-up :( She now weighs 13 lbs 7 oz, which is the 10th percentile. I cried the entire drive home from the doctor's office. I feel like I must be failing at breastfeeding since my daughter's weight gain isn't what it should be. Dr. Jacob told me it could be that since I'm small/petite Alexa is just taking after me. She's not overly concerned yet, but we have to go back at 7 months, instead of waiting until 9 months, to check her weight. Hopefully with the introduction of oatmeal cereal tomorrow (she's vomited on rice cereal the past two times we tried it) and orange veggies next week (all per the doctor's orders), Alexa will have good weight gain this coming month. We'll still be breastfeeding 3-4 times a day, just supplementing cereal/purees for 2 of her other feedings. Thank you, to those of you that I've already spoken with today, for your support and encouragement :)
Lately, I've felt overwhelmed with the responsibility of motherhood. I keep hearing (or reading about) people's children who are "thriving" (gaining weight, rolling, crawling, etc.) and am worried that I'm not doing what I should to help Alexa "thrive." We read, do tummy time, play with toys, sing songs, dance, look outside (or go outside when Ohio weather doesn't stink), pet Chloe, go to Story time, socialize, run errands, etc. I think she is flourishing intellectually. She tracks really well, she turns her head for sounds, and I swear she is even learning how to turn the pages of a book (I'm not even joking), but I do worry that she is falling behind physically and don't know what to do. Dr. Jacob said some babies never roll, or crawl for that matter, so I shouldn't be overly paranoid. I dunno...
Well, thanks for listening to my babble. I'm headed to PSR. Ciao.


3 comments:

Erin Walker said...

OMG....I know Rylee is only 2 weeks old but I know how you feel! I am constantly worried about doing the right things for her, sounds like I have a lot more of that to experience! It sounds like you are the best Mom ever! Alexa is lucky to have such an incredible Mom. My 3rd party thought is if it was SUPER serious the doctor wouldn't wait a whole month to see her again. I hope she like the oatmeal cereal. Let me know. Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I know it's easy for me to say but "don't stress out!" You are a fantastic Mom and I think you are forgetting that the doctor said because you are PETITE (what a compliment, eh?) that maybe Alexa is taking after you. Hang in there and keep doing all the fun and loving things you are doing.
Love,
Aunt Janine

Bobbie Yerman said...

I remember "orange" veggies very well....their skin acquired an orange tone to it. LOL